This is the place where you will find everything about me. What, when, where, who and how... It's my life the way I see it. After all, it's my HORIZON!

14 August 2006

To fly or not to fly? That isn’t and never should be the question!
I read The Star newspaper today. Saw this section “SMS your views” (pg: N44: Opinion). Pls read last entry entitled “Poor response”. I don’t know why people must fly Jalur Gemilang during Merdeka Day. Well, it’s symbolic, but is it necessary to show patriotism this way?

I feel that if you are a patriotic person, you are a patriotic person. If you want to fly the flag, do so. But it shouldn’t be “promoted”. Everyone has his or her own way of showing appreciation towards the country’s independence. Telling people to fly the flag for the sake of flying the flag isn’t good enough. It’s total crap. I can fly the flag at home, but go out and rob somebody. So does that mean that I’m a patriotic person although I rob people for a living?

I know flying the flag = showing that we are one as a nation. But ask ourselves “Are we one?” I can tell you the answer now. We’re not one. So don’t just fly the flag, feel it. Be proud and show it in our actions. Tourists that have visited Malaysia in the past claimed that Malaysia’s fantastic. Well, that’s because Malaysians (not all, mind you), especially the service industry (F&B) has double standards.

Caucasians : Fantastic service with broad smile
Malaysians : Screw you and couldn’t care less.

I don’t see the point of flying flags if such things are happening. Muhibbah? Yes, we are but on the surface. So, if this is the way we are behaving, instead of flying flag, we might as well go fly kite!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hmm... well some ppl do have double standards

and still most would generally treat ang-mohs better than locals; ang mohs are still helping the economy & bringing in $ so i dont mind. kek

and onto flags...

well improving on unity & moving forward as a nation matters most
if flag-flying (or kite-flying) is your thing then by all means...

;)

2:27 AM

 
Blogger John Teh said...

I don't think i'm the flying kind. Lol.

If that's the case then, I can tell you Malaysians are never gonna go places. Having double standards reflect poorly on us. Though the caucasians might feel good, they may still think that it's ridiculous. That's my opinion. Oh well, screw 'em. I live for myself! Lol.

12:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home